Motion passed at the Queensland 4-6 June 2021
Australian Labor party (alp) state conference
Labor Friends of Palestine recognises oppression of Palestinian people at Qld ALP conference
In view of the following:
This year will mark 104 years since the British Lord Balfour declaration on the partition of Palestine when the British granted a national home for the Jewish people. It was declared on the proviso that…‘It being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country.’
The 1947 The United Nations Partition Plan was followed in 1948 by the unilateral declaration of the State of Israel and it has now been…
73 years since Al Nakba (catastrophe) the ethnic cleansing of over 720,000 Palestinians – with 418 villages destroyed;
54 years since Israel occupied Palestine following the 1967 war;
14 years since the blockade and imprisonment of the people of Gaza.
In 2018 the discriminatory Nation State Law was legislated declaring Israel a ‘Jewish only State’, despite 20% of the population of Israel being Arab.
The continuous building of illegal Israeli settlements since the adoption of United Nations Security Council Resolution 2334.
The current horrendous loss of civilian lives, including women and high numbers of children.
This state conference notes and congratulates the Federal ALP for re-affirming the 2018 National Conference resolution towards the recognition of Palestine,
- the current violence and incitement in Jerusalem which was sparked by the forced evictions in Sheik Jarrah to remove Palestinians from their homes and replace them with Israeli settlers,
- the shooting and tear gassing of worshippers in the Al Aqsa mosque.
- the ongoing Israeli annexation by stealth of Palestinian land, the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians through the expansion of illegal settlements, home demolitions, evictions, burning of land, crops and olive groves in the Occupied Palestinian Territories in contravention of international humanitarian law,
Israel attacks Gaza 2008
- the routine oppression and dehumanisation of Palestinian people denying their dignity and rights to self-determination condemning them to live under perpetual Israeli occupation,
- the Federal Parliamentary Caucus and Party as a whole to continue to speak out about the systematic injustices meted out to the Palestinian people,
- on the Australian government to strongly advocate for the cessation of hostilities and the end to all violence, and
- on a future Labor Government to assist with the peacemaking efforts.
Here is the predictable response for the ‘liberal zionists‘ in the Murdoch Press: