Gallery

Richard Laco RIP – minutes silence for killed construction worker outside building site.

The Construction Safety Campaign are organsing a wreath laying and minutes silence for Richard Laco, the worker killed last week on the Laing O’Rourke building site at Kings Cross.

2pm Thursday 14th November

Laing O’Rourke site entrance

Francis Crick Institute project

Kings Cross (behind the British Library)

Pete Farrell (painter) Chair of Construction Safety Campaign said:

“Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Richard Laco. And we intend to hold a respectful event as an opportunity for friends and workers on the site to show a moments respect for this tragic death. Too many workers die on building sites. Too often this is because construction firms give safety a lower priority than profit. We need to make sure no other families have to suffer the heartache of losing a loved one.”

Unite Assistant General Secretary, Gail Cartmail said:

“This fatality is a tragedy and our condolences go out to the bereaved family and friends. This is a harsh reminder of the importance of high standards of health & safety in an industry that is extremely dangerous. Trade unions have a role to play in maintaining safe working environments but Laing O’Rourke has bizarrely banned Unite officials from their sites. There is no place for anti-trade union behaviour in an industry where we should be working together in the interests of safety. We urge Laing O’Rourke and its subsidiary Crown House to give Unite access to the sites to support workers and help make improvements where necessary.”
People before Profit

Mourn the Dead – Fight for the Living
Richard Laco wreath laying flyer.doc

One response to “Richard Laco RIP – minutes silence for killed construction worker outside building site.

  1. 'Construction Safety Campaign'


    11am Saturday 16th November
    40 Bull Street
    Birmingham
    B4 6AF
    All welcome

    The recent death of Richard Laco on a Laing O’Rourke building site in Kings Cross has again raised the issue to construction safety to centre stage. A silent vigil has held for Richard Laco organised by the Construction Safety Campaign and was attended by family members and the girlfriend of the deceased building worker.

    Pix of the silent vigil in the links below:

    Richard Laco Silent Vigil

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hethb/sets/72157637679163356/

    Recent figures show that construction deaths have soared in London and even Laing O’Rourke’s own internal reports state that there has been a “huge rise” in hazards and and near misses on their sites last year.

    Laing O’Rourke have adopted a harsh anti union stance on their projects and officials from construction unions have been banned from their sites in London and Liverpool. Where unions have elected safety reps on sites in London, the company has denied them facilities expected in legislation.

    Laing O’Rourke and their wholly owned electrical contractor Crown House are also proven Blacklisters of union members who raise concerns about safety on building sites. They are defendants in the blacklisting High Court claim being brought by Guney Clark & Ryan whose first hearing is November 29th.

    Because of their anti-union attitude and systematic blacklisting of safety reps, Laing O’Rourke will be a target of the Blacklist Support Group on the TUC Day of Action on Blacklisting on November 20th.

    Like

Please keep comments brief (moderated for spam only)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.