you may be interested in a new initiative which JustPeace is launching – a coalition around US military presence in Australia and an independent security policy for Australia.
An exploratory meeting about this is planned for Monday 5th Dec – see below. All welcome.
Please send this message to any you think may be interested in attending.
INVITATION TO ATTEND A MEETING!!
TO BRING TOGETHER BRISBANE PEACE, SOCIAL JUSTICE AND ENVIRONMENT ORGANISATIONS TO BUILD AN EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVE VOICE ON US TROOPS BEING STATIONED IN AUSTRALIA.
MONDAY 5TH DECEMBER 7PM
16 PEEL ST STH BRISBANE
RSVP to annettebrownlie or phone 0431597256
US BASES GET THE NOD!
This was the refrain from Midnight Oil in the 80’s, now echoing in our media with the signing of an agreement by Defence Minister Stephen Smith in the US in October.
12 months ago during the annual Australia-United States Ministerial meeting (AUSMIN) a Force Posture Review was announced. The agreement now signed will allow the U.S. to expand its military presence in Australia as the Obama administration and its allies maneuver to counter an increasingly assertive China.
President Obama is expected to make an announcement of the agreement on his visit to Australia this November.
Defense Minister Stephen Smith said the broader cooperation will mean “more ships in, ships out; more planes in, planes out; more troops in, troops out.”
So for all of us in the Peace, Environment and Social Justice Movements who have opposed military exercises at locations such as Shoalwater Bay, it’s time to collectively do our utmost to inform the community about the dangers of this expanded military/political integration into the USA military.
- Continuing the history of Australian prostitution to foreign powers- from Great Britain to the USA- embroiling us in wars which are immoral unjust and not in Australia’s interest.
- Loss of Sovereignty and REAL security which comes from respectful relations based on justice and human rights with the peoples of our region.
- Financial cost- interoperability is the catch cry of both Australia and the US. This means buying military hardware from the USA. We have a track record of purchases that don’t eventuate, cost many times more than the original price and often are faulty. We also have a military budget which exceeds our education funding!
- Environmental damage- currently in the news is the toxicity of waters around the central Qld Coast Barrier Reef presumed from materials passing through the ports- past and expanded use of these facilities by nuclear armed and powered naval vessels threatens this wonder of the world.
- Social costs- rape and abuse are well known in US Bases around the world- the agreement will mean US forces have immunity from prosecution under Australian laws.
- Regional costs- cementing the view of neighboring countries that Australia is effectively another state of the USA.
- Potential to negatively impact our relations with China from which we derive significant export income
- Continued disregard for the opinions and wishes of the indigenous peoples of Australia.
Just Peace has worked with a wide range of peace environment and social justice organisations over the years.
It is time to again pull together and do our best to alert the people of Australia about the dangers and call for an Independent Foreign Policy, free from foreign influence, a Defence force versus an Offence force, secure in our Asia Pacific place in the world.
A meeting has been called to plan this campaign on Monday 5th December 7pm at the TLC building 16 Peel St Sth Brisbane. For more information phone Annette on 0431597256 or email on annettebrownlie