MEDIA RELEASE (Please distribute to your lists)
JUSTICE FOR PALESTINE BRISBANE
PALESTINE BDS ACTIVISTS CRASH BEATTIE HILTON LUNCH FOR SUPPORTING APARTHEID ISRAEL
Peter Beattie was branded a hypocrite today (29/7/2016) by Palestine solidarity activists who pointed out that speaking at an Australia Israel Chamber of Commerce event was implicit support for the apartheid state, a stance in direct contrast to Beattie’s arrest 40-odd years ago opposing South African apartheid. The Australia Israel Chamber of Commerce is the peak body for promoting trade between Australia and Israel, a prime target for the 11 year strong boycott, divestment, sanctions (BDS) campaign initiated by Palestinian civil society. Beattie, now Chairman of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation, was slated to talk about the games planning and expected benefit to the Queensland economy but was instead asked, in the words of the famous song, “Which side are you on?”
“Beattie has no excuse for not being aware of the situation in Israel” stated Justice for Palestine member Elizabeth Jones. “Desmond Tutu himself, the veteran South African anti-apartheid campaigner has spoken of the parallels between the treatment of Palestinians and the treatment of blacks in apartheid South Africa”. “Palestinians called for action on the BDS campaign eleven years ago, it’s about time people like Mr Beattie got on board, especially since he has used his actions opposing South African apartheid as political capital over the past decades”. “All the Palestinians want is respect of their rights in compliance with international law, this after an occupation going on 70 years!”
Activists occupied the Hilton’s Victoria Ballroom from around midday holding banners and a Palestinian flag in distress, chanting, singing, and asking questions. Mr Beattie initially engaged with questions but then the diners went back to eating lunch even when confronted with the nature of Israeli apartheid, the ongoing genocide, and the UN prediction that Gaza will be uninhabitable by 2020. After about 30 minutes police arrived and asked the activists to leave. Justice for Palestine members assured Mr Beattie and the Australia Israel Chamber of Commerce that their support for Palestine and BDS was strong and would be ongoing.
0421 472 465
WBT does not reveal our sources. WBT holds no shares or interests in corporations.
Letters to the Editor @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Joe Geia sings the ‘Welcome Song’
- Open Letter to the Premier of NSW on Coal and Water
- Taxpayers subsidise Qld Public Trustee rorts on Public Trustee suspended
- Black Lives Matter (Brisbane) on Murder in Minneapolis
- Union Response on Murder in Minneapolis
- Liberal response to George Floyd's murder on Murder in Minneapolis
- What happened? on Murder in Minneapolis
- Playing music is a crime on Main Street on Exile on Main Street
- Protest for George Floyd on Murder in Minneapolis
- Political and corrupt police on Not all, fall down
- jand7758 on Not all, fall down
WBT addresses the following questions:
1. Industrial question: The Master/servant relationship. The struggle for Worker Control.
2. Ownership question: Who owns the land or does the land own us? Rights to the city, right to country. The struggle of indigenous people for land rights and social justice in Australia.
3. Political question: This is the class struggle. Who owns the means of production? Who governs? How are democratic rights won and shared.
This is aboriginal land
Radical Times Historical ArchiveClick image to go to archive
Radio, podcasts & Blogs
Paradigm Shift - 4ZZZ fm 102.1, Fridays at Noon
Words are the Wind - Words from Struggle Street
Eva Bartlett In Gaza
4ZZZ News & Current affairs — 4zzz is on the land of the Turbul & Jagera people, never ceded
Save Leard State Forest — Archive of actions to stop mining in the Piliger
Rob Pyne - a far northern life — sharing stories of Rob's struggle inside the ALP and his move to independence.
Contains some excellent chapters about his stint in parliament.