BrisCAN-G20 Statement of Unity – BrisCAN-G20 is network of groups and individuals concerned about the ongoing ecological destruction and social and economic and disparities perpetuated by G20 and the systems it represents. We live and take action on Aboriginal land and support First Nations’ struggles for land and culture. Bris-CAN facilitates vibrant community-based action for an ecologically and socially just world. We foster peaceful collaborations for progressive and positive change locally and globally in the lead up to the G20 and beyond.
[briscan-g20] G2o Film night (Weds) & We need YOU! Nov 8-Nov16
Tales from the G20. This is what democracy looks like.
Join us Weds for this fundraiser film night at the Left Bank Basement, West End, our G20 action creative community space.
We’ll be screening “Tales from the G20” – a documentary about the 2010 Toronto G20 protests, as well as “This is What Democracy looks like”, about the 1999 Seattle WTO protests.
Date: Weds Nov 5
Place: the Basement at 5 Paris Street,
West End (near the 199 bus stop cnr Vulture St & Hardgrave Rd)
Suggested Donation for entry is $5 which includes supper
Please invite your friends, we hope to see you there !
Community responses to G20 need your help…
Next week the leaders of the 20 largest economies in the world will gather in Brisbane for the G20 Leaders Summit. With Tony Abbott at the helm, Australia and the G20 continue to make decisions which benefit the few at the expense of the many, prioritising profit over community welfare and the environment.
Despite obstacles, such as police telling potential meeting site/venues not to hire out their spaces, constant media misrepresentation of organisers/groups, last minute notification of “requirements” for prohibitively costly infrastructure, etc etc, grassroots community initiatives will be presenting real alternatives to the G20 in the upcoming weeks. All are welcome!
· The First Nations Decolonisation Before Profit program of events will run Nov 8 – Nov 16 in Musgrave Park. November 15-16: Global First Nations Conference See: http://brisbaneblacks.com/g20/program/
· November 12-14: Visioning Another World: The G20 Peoples’ Summit. A three-day festival of symposiums, idea-sharing, education and action taking place in various locations in Brisbane, before the G20 Leaders Summit. See: http://www.briscan.net.au CHECK OUT THE PROGRAM http://briscan.net.au/program/
· Citizen Journalist Media Centre: Nov 12-16, Wandering Cooks South Brisbane. A space available for members of the public to create their own media about the G20 in our region.
· November 15: Peoples’ Rally & March Standing with First Nations for Decolonisation
11am Rally at Roma Street Forum. March to Musgrave Park. Music afterwards in park.
These events have been organised entirely by volunteers with little or no funds. NOW we need your support to make these events be the best they can be…
Urgent appeal: Musgrave Park First Nations Gathering:An estimated $5000 is needed for a last minute Council requirement for a 20 toilet block and cleaners.
Bank: NAB Classic Banking
Acct Name BRING CHILDREN HOME GROUP
Acc Number 837268930
Brisbane Community Action Network (BrisCAN)G20 needs your help with $$ for:
· Venue hire (We are committed to staying in South Brisbane, near the G20 meeting and Musgrave Park. Due to “security restrictions”and/or fear many venues have closed for the week. Due to the lack of free/public venues accessible in the G20 week we have had to organise a decentralised program and pay venues to ensure that the Peoples’ Summit can go ahead near the actual G20 meeting) Venue costs are estimated to be $5000 – with incidentals such as wifi and cleaning on top.
· We also need to pay for: PA hire, airfares/transport for guests from remote communities, internet, prop and banner material, internet, printing materials, plus help with toilets etc in Musgrave Park etc.
· POSTER & OTHER PRINTING: A2 colour posters, handbooks and other materials – or donated printing. We need $700-$1500 to do a large run of A2poster, booklets, etc.
Please donate! Bank: Members and Equity Credit Union
Account name: BrisCAN Brisbane Community Action Network (BrisCAN )
BSB: 313-140 Account number: 12069890
We need your gear: Loans/donations: projectors, lap tops, small portable PA s for forums, cold rooms, food, first aid kits and gear, bottled water, catering supplies and equipment for our media centre, event, action and rest areas.
Donations of goods can be dropped off at 5 Paris Street, between 10am-12pm and 4pm -6pm each day thru Nov 11 or by appointment. Call 0411 118 737
Got a skill? We need you! : first aiders, sign language interpreters, support people, kitchen hands, tech support, banner painters, electricians to check cables and gear, posterers, artists, citizen media makers and more.
Banner painting/prop making/Venue prep and more! Every Day, between 10am-12pm and 4pm -6pm each day until Nov 11 or by appointment. 5 Paris Street, West End.
Monday Nov 10 4pm-7pm & Tuesday Nov 11 4pm-7pm
5 Paris Street, West End (near the 199 bus stop at cnr Vulture and Boundary Streets)
For more information:
mbl 0411 118 737