Good people, from Gerry
Attached is a photo of 4 of the children with me last night in Perth’s outskirts, in bush off a major highway. This family of six school aged children, grandmother and father have been homeless for three months since coming to Perth from near the NT border to give the kids a real hope of education. The quality of education available that Governments claim to be adequate in the remote is actually so low that they’ve no or very little hope.
Anyway, here in Perth, every agency imaginable knows they’re homeless, sleeping in Perth’s outskirt bush. Government Ministers included. The children have not missed a day of school, their grandmother and father get them to school – three suburbs away. Last night, my partner and I spent part of the night with them – in the rain. Government has told them there’s a minimum 5 year wait for State Housing. I’ve organised food parcels for them, clothes in the week ahead, and I’ll find them, as I do, accommodation unless Child Protection screws it all up. Over the years, I’ve found accommodation for many people, but it may take me some time. It says something about Government agencies and politicians, when an ordinary person like me, with limited resources can secure accommodation for those in need but whole Governments and well resourced politicians do jack.
I will take their plight, a plight indicative of an endemic crisis, out through the NIRS news today and through the NIT next Wednesday however in the meantime I beseech anyone who can help with any donation, financial or otherwise, or any contacts for accommodation beating me to it, to please contact me on 0430 657 309 or by email.
I will not identify the location of the family or their surname, housing them first is the priority. In the meantime, Jenny and I will take supplies to them and hopefully they don’t have to endure a very cold winter in Perth’s outskirt bush – in the wealthiest State in the nation.
Some of you are in media, if we can take out their story that would be great too, contact me if so interested.
Much respect, Gerry
Manager – 0430 657 309
The Wheelchairs for Kids Foundation
Journalist | National Indigenous Times
Journalist | National Indigenous Radio Service
The STRINGER – co-editor – http://thestringer.com.au/
Managing consultant – Education, Training, Advocacy
Human Rights Practice
“Peace, the triumph of discourse over violence.”
BA (Phil), BA (Med), BA (AIS),
G/Dip (Human Rights Ed), MHumRgts, MA (Social Justice)
Researcher in Australian Deaths in Custody & Custodial Systems
Independent freelance award-winning journalist and author
‘Go tell the Spartans, Passerby, That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.’
To donate to the Wheelchairs for Kids Foundation:
ANZ BSB: 016261 – ACC: 267255563
Any school, association, organisation or individual that would like to assist WFKids please contact me.
Welcome to Workers BushTelegraph people from all directions.
WBT does not reveal our sources.
- Taxpayers subsidise Qld Public Trustee rorts on Public Trustee suspended
- Black Lives Matter (Brisbane) on Murder in Minneapolis
- Union Response on Murder in Minneapolis
- Liberal response to George Floyd's murder on Murder in Minneapolis
- What happened? on Murder in Minneapolis
- Playing music is a crime on Main Street on Exile on Main Street
- Protest for George Floyd on Murder in Minneapolis
- Political and corrupt police on Not all, fall down
- jand7758 on Not all, fall down
- Dutton’s ASIO bill goes Kafkaesque on Exile on Main Street
- Welcome to this website
People from all directions.
We address the following questions:
1. Industrial question: The Master/servant relationship. The struggle for Worker Control.
2. Ownership question: Who owns the land? Rights to the city, right to country. The struggle of indigenous people for land rights and social justice in Australia.
3. Political question: This is the class struggle. Who owns the means of production? Who governs? How are democratic rights won and shared.
Joe Geia sings the 'Welcome Song'
This is aboriginal land
Radical Times Historical ArchiveClick image to go to archive
Radio, podcasts & Blogs
Paradigm Shift - 4ZZZ fm 102.1, Fridays at Noon
Words are the Wind - Words from Struggle Street
Eva Bartlett In Gaza
4ZZZ News & Current affairs — 4zzz is on the land of the Turbul & Jagera people, never ceded
Save Leard State Forest — Archive of actions to stop mining in the Piliger
Rob Pyne - a far northern life — sharing stories of Rob's struggle inside the ALP and his move to independence.
Contains some excellent chapters about his stint in parliament.