This is a call out to union members to write to their union asking for support for Palestine.
Include a copy of the poster and ask if the union will support Justice for Palestine to commemorate Al Nakba.
Some unions are conflicted on the issue of supporting Palestine and it gives political support to those organisers and officials who do wish their union to give active support and to provide union resources.
Justice for Palestine are organising a campaign to commemorate Al Nakba on 18 May 2012. Activities include:
- Print out signs with the names of Palestinian villages removed or destroyed during al Nakba and subsepquent Israeli occupation
- Ask people to come to action to carry sign
- Procession through the city with the signs
- At end of procession, people write the name of the village on a banner painted with the map of Palestine and sign the banner. Banner will be sent to Palestine.
- Four week campaign to ask people to sign up to carry sign/village name before the day
References (thanks S.)
List of Palestinian Localities destroyed after the creation of the State of Israel (1948)
The official topographical maps issued by the State of Israel in the 1950s (1:100’000), inherited from the period of the British mandatory government but overprinted in Hebrew, mention almost 300 destroyed Palestinian localities. Each Palestinian locality having been in a state of destruction and abandonment at that time is marked on these maps by the Hebrew overprint ‘harouss’ which means ‘destroyed, demolished’. These maps alone establish thus with absolute certainty the destruction of a great number of Palestinian localities. They present the most important evidence for our list….http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/node/5983