Welcome Song by Raymond Walker Invasion Day 2011 26 January – Invasion Day: ‘Our survival is our revenge’ – G. Foley
Invasion Day 2011 in Brisbane demonstrates that the Brisbane Blacks are:
- getting stronger;
- aboriginal population is growing here int he South East;
- young people are coming on three young indigenous women annnounced their intention to run in the next Qld state elections New indigenous political party ; and
- aborigianl health is on the mend – not at the same level as non-indigenous health but better than it was for prior generations.
Some intitiatives came out of this years invasion day in Brisbane.
- Firstly Murris elders have authorised the recovery of aboriginal remains from the Queensalnd Museum and all other museums where sacred aboriginal remains lie so that they can be returned to their people and properly buried according to customary law. This will begin on Wednesday 2 February 2011. Details to be announced. ‘We know why we are here’ – Bob Weatherall, Chair, Kamilaroi Land Trust
- One other was a call by representatives of the Saunders family for people to come to the court on Monday 7 February to make sure that justice is carried out in the trial of those accused of the murder of Richard Saunders.
Plea from Saunders family
I will provide recordings of the speeches at the rally as soon as possible.
27 January 2011