From Dear SIMO members and friends
We must let the State government know urgently there is wide support for national park on North Stradbroke Island and for ending mining. If you have already sent in a submission, we’re asking you to send another and to ask your colleagues, friends and family to write as well. Maybe even print out letters and ask people to sign them?
Each submission counts.
Go to the following for more information:
The government has extended the consultation period to 30 September. Send a simple, quick message:
I want to register my support for the Queensland government’s decision to make 80 per cent of North Stradbroke Island (NSI) national park.
- The island will be a great national park, so close to Brisbane.
- Protect all its rich diversity of flora and fauna, including koalas.
- Gazette as much national park as possible this term of government (more than 56 per cent).
- Make remaining untouched or lightly disturbed land national park before it’s mined, not after.
- End mining as soon as possible: it’s had 60 years, and Stradbroke cannot withstand any more destruction.
- Start the island’s economic transition now to low-impact, nature-based tourism.
- Ensure mine workers and their families are given due consideration as the mines close.
- Implement joint management of the national park with the island’s traditional owners.
Add a personal note too if you want. Include your name and contact details.
Send to: straddie.vision, cc the Premier: premier
or mail to: North Stradbroke Island Vision Team
c/o Tim Ellis
Department of Environment and Resource Management
GPO Box 2454
Brisbane QLD 4001
Please ask your friends, family and colleagues to send in a note.
If ever there was a time to ensure the national park happens, and in the best possible way, it’s now.
Stradbroke Island Management Organisation
PO Point Lookout QLD 4183
07 3409 8944