TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland
The petition of residents of the State of Queensland draws to the attention of the House the inherent rights and human rights of the Aboriginal Peoples of Australia and the status of the Aboriginal flag, being a flag belonging to Aboriginal Peoples and the widely-recognised symbol of the Aboriginal Peoples sovereignty.
Your petitioners therefore request the House to:
1. Respect to the Aboriginal flag as the representation of the sovereign rights of the Aboriginal Peoples; and
2. Legislate into the laws of Queensland the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as soon as possible and without diminution of those rights; and
3. Return all the lands, territories and resources that have traditionally belonged to the Aboriginal Peoples except those lands, territories and resources which are otherwise compensated in accordance with the requirements of the Aboriginal Peoples; and
4. Remedy past wrongs and injustices against the Aboriginal peoples through independent and impartial adjudication; and
5. Reject any and all amendments to the Queensland Constitution relating to the Aboriginal Peoples which do not uphold the rights of the Aboriginal Peoples and which have not received the prior, informed consent of the Aboriginal Peoples; and
6. Finance and fully support Aboriginal political development, including self-determination through self-governance, as is the inherent right of the Aboriginal Peoples and as has been consistently and deliberately denied to them since colonisation in 1859.
Please sign the petition in the Comments section below.