Making money from detention is a global business as the number of asylum seekers surges globally, recently topping 50 million people for the first time since World War Two. Many companies are licking their lips. It’s just one focus of my current book-in-progress for Verso out in 2015 on Disaster Capitalism. I’ve recently been across the US investigating the realities of that nation’s huge privatised immigration network and here’s my #longread Guardian feature on it (+ the photos of the visit).
I’m also excited to announce a new teaser for my documentary in progress, Disaster Capitalism, with New York film-maker Thor Neureiter. We’re currently looking for more funding to continue shooting and complete post-production.
In other news:
– Guardian essay on Jewish responsibility to speak out against Israeli actions.
– Channel 7 Weekend Sunrise interview on Gaza and Israel.
– Guardian column on today’s Libya and the failed “Responsibility to Protect” doctrine.
– Guardian column on the political and media scandal rocking New Zealand.
– ABC Radio interview on Gaza conflict.
– SBS News Radio interview on Gaza and #FreePalestine.
– ABC TV broadcast of recent public events: Home is Where the Heart Is (at a literary festival in Darwin), Shifting Sands: Lessons from Iraq, Afghanistan and 12 years of War (at a literary festival in Byron Bay) and an IQ2 squared debate in Sydney on We are Becoming Enslaved by Technology.
– ABC News Radio interview on Gaza and the Zionist lobby.
– Guardian column on global literary festivals.
– Radio New Zealand interview on my book Profits of Doom.
– ABC Radio interview on technology addiction.
– My Sydney speech to a large rally in support of Palestine.
– 2SER Fourth Estate interview on media coverage of Palestine.
– Middle East related event slammed by the Murdoch press.
– Sydney speech at a public forum on “From Iraq to Gaza: The Politics of Fear”.
– Launching the new book After Israel.
– Sydney speech at Politics in the Pub on the recent war against Gaza.
– Inside the world of terror group ISIS.
– I’ve endorsed a fine, new book out last month by Kristian Lasslett called State Crime On the Margins of Empire: Rio Tinto, The War on Bougainville and Resistance to Mining.
Thanks for reading.
Until next time.
Independent Freelance Journalist and Author Sydney, Australia