|Movement for Peace and Justice – Brisbane
Due to the current and ongoing student protests across Chile, the Chilean community in Brisbane would like to add our voices to those of the Chilean students movement, this which is in response to the ongoing struggle for free and quality education for all as well as demanding justice and democracy amongst other demands.We feel that quality education is a basic human right, not a luxury or a consumer good, as such, the Chilean state and its ongoing process of elimination and co modification of public education (as embodied by the merger, closure and endemic under funding of municipal schools in poor neighborhoods, the high level of student indebtedness, and the increasing precarity of employment for teachers, amongst other ), is reprehensible. The current student mobilization is in opposition to this process of elimination and we feel it is both reasonable and of a necessity to ensure this human right is fulfilled.Finally, we are making the Chilean government responsible for the health and safety for those participating in demonstrations and others activities demanding those basic rights; we find that it is unacceptable that the Chilean government has had a negative response to this, which is a basic right to free and quality education.
The Chilean communityin Australia would like to demand that the Chilean government find a democratic solution to the current student straggle for better education and for them to stop the repression against its people.
This is the reason for our call out to all the communities in Brisbane Australia, we ask you to please participated in a rally in solidarity with the student and their demand against the Chilean government, this will be held on:
This Saturday the 3rd of September, from 11:00 to 12:00 am.
At king George Square, Brisbane
Free education for the Chilean people.
Welcome people from all directions. Click to write
Letters to the Editor
WBT does not reveal our sources. We do not hold shares or interests in corporations.
We monitor this site for factual errors. If readers see errors please email the editor or place a correction in a comment box.
Banner image is of the southern border ranges in Queensland.
Please be aware this site contains images and voices of indigenous people now deceased.
- GetThemOut Campout on KP Prison – torture’s simple plan
- Thanks to Justice for Palestine (Brisbane) on Gaza Fights for Freedom
- WBT Wrap-up for 2020 on The future of Workers BushTelegraph?
- Howard’s War on Soldier, We Love You
- Correction on Yet ‘another stupid development’
- ‘Power and pain’: an Australian citizens’ encounter with the SAS on Big Boys’ Rules in Afghanistan
- WA Minister for Heritage, Arts and Culture on Qld universities in the red. Why?
- Anonymous on Yet ‘another stupid development’
- mahi patel on Not all, fall down
- Solidarity with Cuba and the Palestinian people!! on Stories from the revolution in Cuba and Palestine
WBT addresses the following questions:
1. Industrial question: The Master/servant relationship. The struggle for Worker Control.
2. Ownership question: Who owns the land or does the land own us? Rights to the city, right to country. The struggle of indigenous people for land rights and social justice in Australia.
3. Political question: This is the class struggle. Who owns the means of production? Who governs? How are democratic rights won and shared.
Radical Times ArchiveClick image to go to archive
Radio, podcasts & Blogs
Paradigm Shift - 4ZZZ fm 102.1, Fridays at Noon
Words are the Wind - Words from Struggle Street
Eva Bartlett In Gaza
4ZZZ News & Current affairs — 4zzz is on the land of the Turbul & Jagera people, never ceded
Save Leard State Forest — Archive of actions to stop mining in the Piliger
Rob Pyne - a far northern life — sharing stories of Rob's struggle inside the ALP and his move to independence.
Contains some excellent chapters about his stint in parliament.