Short History of the Curr Family from 1798 to 1955

I post here a short history of the Curr family by my great aunt Margery whom I knew and visited at Metung in Victoria on holiday with her sisters, Kit, Elaine and Fairlie in the summer of 1964. Fairlie taught me how to sail and they all taught me how to play the card game “500” along with Fairlie’s friend Sophy Borland. I was 13 when I arrived and 14 when I left. A truly memorable summer with my great aunts who seemed to be from another age, which they were. None of them were ever married, their potential husbands all went to World War I. This account was written by Margery at “MURRUMBOGIE” 53 Huntingtower Road, MALVERN, VICTORIA on 31st May, 1953.

“Korak” Metung Victoria circa 1940 from left, possibly Bettina, Richard, Kitty and Elaine Curr


It might be best if I begin this short account or events in the life of my father Edward Micklethwaite Vaughan Curr (who was the 3rd Edward in Australia) and his family, by saying I am his eldest daughter, and will refer to all members of the family in relation as they stand to me.  

My great grandfather Edward Curr was born 1798 at Bellview House, Sheffield, England. He married Elizabeth Micklethwaite of Ardsley Hall, Yorkshire. He helped to found the Van Diemen’s Land Co. in Tasmania in about 1820. He was a shareholder and Manager. He lived first at Hobart Town and later at Circular Head, Tasmania. Hie house is shown to tourists to this day. He later came to live in Melbourne 1839 with his large family. He became very interested in politics and was known as one of the “Fathers of Separation” – Victoria from New South Wales. His home was called St. Heliers, and the Abbotsford Convent now stands where his house was. There is a tablet in St. Patrick’s Cathedral with his name on it. He died 16th November,1850.  

My grandfather, Edward Micklethwaite Curr (2nd Edward) born at Hobart Town 25th Dec.1820. He was educated in Jesuit Colleges and at Stonehurst in England.

Edward Micklethwaite Curr married Margaret Vaughan (born 1830) at Marlborough St. Church, Dublin, in January 1854. The Rev. Father Murphy married them. They sailed from Gravesend in the Chouringee with Captain Nolan 14tll March, 1854, and arrived in Melbourne 30th June, 1854. Grandfather sailed for New Zealand on July 17th and returned to Melbourne 21st August, 1854.

  Grandfather and Grandmother sailed from Melbourne for Sydney 11th September and arrived in Sydney 19th September,1854. They left Sydney 23rd Sept. and arrived in Auckland, New  Zealand on 1st October, 1854. They left Auckland for Onecinga   7th Nov.1854 and sailed for Nelson on 9th, and arrived on 12th , Nov. 1854. My grandfather and his brother Richard went to the Ahariri on 2nd Dec.1854 and returnee on 1st January, 1855. My grandfather, his brothers Charles and Walter, sailed for Sydney Jan. 11th, 1855, and returned to Wellington 30th March, 1855.

My father, named EDWARD MICKLEHTWAITE VAUGHAN CURR  was born at Wellington, New Zealand, 10th April, 1855.

My grandfather and his brother Richard, sailed for  Sydney on 3rd Sept., and returned on 24th Oct 1855.

My grandfather sailed for Sydney on 24th Jan 1856, and arrived 9th Feb. His brother Charles with hie wife Fanny and brother Monty and his wife Marie, my grandfather and grandmother and baby Edward sailed for Wide Bay on 14th Feb, and arrived 19th Feb 1856. They arrived at Gobongo and Taoncol on 6th March,1856.

“These stations which Papa had bought were 120 miles from White Bay” (The “Papa” who bought these stations was my great grandfather).

My grandfather and his wife left the station on 8th July and arrived in Melbourne 6th Aug 1856.

My aunt, Constance Mary Curr, was born at St. Kilda 8th Oct. 1856. The station Gobongo was sold and delivered 1st Dec. 1856 .

My grandmother, my Aunt Constance and my father Edward, went to Tasmania 9th Feb. 1857, ”for my Mother” says the old note book from which I am quoting. Grandmother returned with Constance to St.Kilda, leaving my father with Mrs. Connell in Tasmania June 1857. Grandfather brought my father back to Melbourne August 1857. Grandmother end the family went to Launceston 6th Jan. 1858, and grandfather joined us on 26th May, 1858.

My father’s brother, Wilfred Curr, was born at Table Cape, Tasmania, 4th Sept. 1858.

Grandfather and the family left Melbourne for Uabba (on the Lachlan River, NSW) 15th November, and arrived 15th Dec. 1858. Took Thomas Phillips to station with us. Grandfather left for Melbourne again 5th Jan. 1859.

Wilfred Curr died at Uabba on 24th Aug.1860, and was buried there. He died very suddenly and they thought might have eaten glass. Grandfather and his family, with his brother Richard and his wife, and brother Julius left Uabba 1st July 1861, and they arrived in Melbourne 3rd Sept.1861. Grandfather, his brothers Richard and Julius, went with horses to New Zealand Otago 24th Sept.1861, and returned 15th Dec.1861.

My Aunt Mabel Mary Curr was born 20th December, 1861.

My grandfather was appointed Inspector of Sheep, Melbourne District, November 1862.

My grandfather published his book “Pure Saddle Horses” in June 1863. See the “Argus”. 

My grandfather was appointed the Chief Inspector of Sheep May 1864. He gained the prize essay on “Scab” in May 1765 (sic -1865) – worth £150.

My aunt Ela Mary Curr was born 11th Feb. 1864, and was always known as “Miss Ela”.

Another child, Harold, was born, I think before “Miss Ela”, as the old note book says he died 1864.  

The family came to live at Chambers Terrace, Gardiner’s Creek Road, Melbourne, Sept.1864.

My Uncle Justin Curr was born 15th May, 1866. [Editor’s Note: Justin Curr is credited with laying the first turf wicket at Xavier school in Melbourne in 1883. Justin and his brother Hubert are also responsible for introducing the school colours by wearing caps of black and red in concentric circles in both cricket and football. Later in life, Hubert Curr later offered a prize for essays on the New States Movement because of his opposition to centralisation of government. – from ‘XAVIER – A Centenary Portrait’ by Greg Dening pp 170, 171 (1978)].

Great Grandmother Curr died on 13th Oct.1866. She and great grandfather were buried in the Melbourne Cemetery, which was after many years shut up, and the tombstones (if nothing else) are now out in the Fawkner Cemetery – No. of grave N 458.  

My father Edward Micklethwaite Vaughan Curr was sent to school in Belgium to the Jesuit College at Namur. He sailed in the Great Britain II in the care of Mrs. Ray, on 26th Jan. 1867. He often told  me what a very bad sailor he was. This was a sailing ship. He did not arrive in England until 29th March,1867.

Uncle Hubert Curr, my father’s brother, was born 3rd March, 1868.  My father went across to school at Namur, Belgium, 10th April 1867, and was there, and in other Jesuit schools for about two years. He left Belgium for Ireland with John Lyons 16th Aug. 1869. I have often heard my father say how few baths the boys in Belgium took, and that they called him “The pig” because he would insist on having a bath every day. They said he was very dirty to require one so often. When he first got to school he felt very strange, and could not speak the language. One afternoon he was sent for to the parlour as a great lady whose boy was also at school there, said she wished to see a person from that strange place “Australia”. When my father came into the room, she threw up her hands and said: “Oh, he is not black“. She was not then at all interested in him.

My father enjoyed his stay in Ireland and saw the old Aunt who had brought up his mother. That lovely gold chain which my sister Kitty now has, belonged to this Aunt. At one of the houses in Ireland where my father stayed, there were lovely paddocks on the estate, and in them were a lot of young Kerry cattle, which were being fattened up. The owner could not make out why these young beasts put on no flesh, but got thinner and thinner. The truth was my father and his friend used to steal out on fine nights, and have great rides round and round on these young beasts – but they were not caught at it.  

My father left Ireland for Italy 26th Oct. 1869, and stopped three days in Paris, then went to Marseilles and embarked for Genoa, Leghorn and Rome, where they arrived 4th Nov. 1869. My father was in (the) charge of the Jesuits, I think, all during his travels and he went to many of their houses.

Uncle Ernest Joseph Curr was born 9th Jan. 1870.

On holidays in Italy the priests from the College used to take the boys out for long walks, and one day my father and an old priest were sitting in an old stone quarry having their lunch in the sun. My father looked round and there was a viper just near him. He rose quick as quick, seized it by the tail and cracked its head off. It was a very foolish thing to do, but he had seen it done in wild days among the blacks. When he looked round, the old priest had fainted away. When he came to, he was very upset, and made my father promise never to do such a thing again.  

My father liked riding the donkeys very much, and on picnics from school in Italy, they were allowed to hire them to ride for the day. On the way out the donkeys would be in good form, but as the day went on they got very weary with the boys racing them about. At lunch the boys would save some of their bread and the light wine which they always drank. They soaked the bread in the wine and gave it to the weary donkeys. The wine soon had an effect on the poor beasts, and they would liven up and go off very gaily for a while, but when the effect wore off, you can imagine what the poor beasts were like.

My father left Mondragone and school for Melbourne on 11th April 1871. He travelled by way of Pisa, Florence, Bologna, Milan, Lake Como, Zurich. He went to see Notre Dame des Eremites, Berne, Cologne, Rotterdam and to London.

He remained at Beaumont College for a few weeks and sailed from London in the “Newcastle” with Captain French, on June 4th,1871. He arrived in Melbourne 25th Aug. 1871.

My father went into Uncle Hastings Cunninghame’s Office, 7th May 1872, but left it on 21st Aug. 1872, and went into the Australian Wool Stores in Aug. 1872.

My father went into the Bank of Victoria, Melbourne, 10th March, 1873, and he joined the St. Kilda Football Club.

From 8th July 1873 to 11th Oct.1873 my father had to sleep in the bank, and he did not like this much. On 1st Mar. 1874 his salary was raised from £50 to £75. He recorded that his weight was 11 stone 3 lbs. On 20th Oct. 1874, and that he went out camping with F. Fulford, Jeneson and Willis to Dromana and Cape Shank for three weeks.

On Mar. 1st 1874 his salary at the bank was raised to £100.

He got the measles on Dec. 28th 1874 and was ill for three weeks. He won his first Cup rowing on the River Yarra Nov. 1874. He got Typhoid Fever on Mar. 28th 1875, was delirious for 16 days and received the last Sacraments, was then removed to Alma House, Alma Terrace St. Kilda, April 28th. Got up on May 5th 1875 for the first time. On May 18th he went up to Wallan and returned to the bank 6th June,1875.

He then records the following: Bought a billiard table June 28th,1875. Weight 11 stone 2 lbs. on 20th March. Got Inflammation of the Lungs on Easter Monday 1876, and was ill for two and a half months. Was not able to play football all the season. Go a rise from £100 to £150 a year on 1st March, 1876.

He went up to the bank at Inglewood, relieving Mr. McPherson on 19th Jan.1877. Mr. Blackburn was the manager. He returned to Melbourne 31st March the same year.

At Easter time 1877 my father went up to the Yarra Flats with Sid and Archie Skene. They saw 25 deer but did not get any.

On June 1st 1877 father went up to Emerald Hill, where the manager was Mr. Benbow.

“Note: Mr. Benbow’s widow was later Mrs. Palmer, Dr. Palmer’s wife. Her youngest daughter, Eunice, is now Mrs. E. A. Curr, wife of my eldest brother, Edward A. Curr of Murrumbogie, Trundle, N.S.W.”

My father played football for the St. Kilda Club and on Aug.14th 1877 the team went to Adelaide. They won two games and were splendidly entertained by the Mayor Mr. Peacock.

A little later father and Mr. A. Skene went up to Corendirk and got two fine stags with splendid horns.

Aunt Marie Curr, wife of Richard Curr, had a stroke in August 1877. In my young days Uncle Richard and Aunt Marie lived in Richmond and we were taken to see them whenever we came down from N.S.W. The big weather glass in our cottage at Metung belonged to Uncle Richard.

Aunt Constance Curr went to Belfast and Hamilton in June with Miss T. Lane, and they returned 14th Oct.1877.

My father’s cousin Shirlie Gurner died of croup Nov.18th 1877. Frank Fulford left for Adelaide 22nd Nov.1877. My father’s Uncle Monty Curr arrived from Leichardt River, Queensland, on Jan. 24th 1878.

My father left the Bank of Victoria May 3rd 1878, and left for Leichart River Queensland, by steamer “Barabool” on May 7th 1878 with his Uncle Monty. Went by Townsville, saw Marmy Curr on the Burdekin, then went to Hughenden, Malungra, and reached Kamilaroi Station, Leichart River, on July 9th,1878 with Uncle Monty.

Father went to Normanton with Mr. Carr in September. Mr. Brodie’s cattle got on to their country on 5th Oct.1878. My grandfather, E.M. Curr, bid for Leichardt Downs No.3 and 4 on 3rd Dec.1878 but Brodie became the purchaser.

Father then went and camped for a week with his Uncle Julius Curr at Doner’s Hill on May 15th 1879. Rain began on Feb. 2nd 1879 and left off only on 1st April. Father left Kamilaroi Station on 15th April 1879 for Melbourne, joining Mr. George Bostock on April 18th and came overland via Hughenden, Burdekin, Townsville to Melbourne. Reached Melbourne, 28th May 1879 with G. Bostock. He left Melbourne with Mr. Bostock in July of the same year and went to Marmey’s, and then to his plane on the Enerslie River, but did not find country. He went from there to Kamilaroi via Green Creek and Pormers. My grandfather then advanced father £700 to go in for a place with Bostock, if they could find one. He went with G. Bostock to the Cloncurry and had a look at some country but did not find any suitable. Then they went on and had a look at Davencourt and went from there. to Werna, via Eddington. They stayed at Werna.

Father met Mr. Cooper at Seslonia and he told him about a run on the McKinley and they went with him to see White Beaudesert in March and April 1880 and returned via Seslonia and Kamilaroi; then went to Normanton and took up Constance Downs, about 350 miles between the McKinley and the Gilbert in June 1880.

Next father went to see some country on the Sachey and  from there to Simpsons Marathon and returned to Normanton, but  the country was taken up. Later he returned up the Flinders  to Marathon and helped Simpson to lamb and went from there to  Aramac, via Winton, and met Fraser on the Dorr, and travelled  with him for six weeks with his sheep, but could not deal with  him. 

From there father went to Aramac and bought sheep  from De Sachey at Corena, 2000 ewes at 5/- per head and some  rams in Nov. or Dec. of 1880. He camped for six weeks here.  He travelled the sheep out and lost 500 in a flood; lambed  April and May 1881 on Windex, and stocked his country on  McKinley and came over to Kyruna (Colts) shore and lambed  there in October and November 1881. He stayed there till  March 1882 and then went over to Constance Downs and stayed  there till Cameron (Camiron) bought.

Cameron Bros. bought Constance Downs May 2nd 1882. Took delivery of the sheep etc. June 3rd 1882 end gave my father cheque for £86/10/- for the horses and dray etc., and bought the place for £3000 cash; £7 a mile to be refunded for every mile short.  He then started to look for new country from Eastern  Creek 10th June 1882, and was out for seven days. Started  from Normanton with two horses, leaving Billy withCameron  on 21st June. He went via Eddington, Dalgonilli, Taldora  and Spier Creek to Normanton, which place he reached without  mishap on July 8th,1882. 

Father then went to the Tableland with Isaac Little  and J. O’Reilly on 9th Aug.1882, and returned to Normanton  1st Nov.1882, and went to Melbourne Nov. 9th 1882. 

He joined Richardson & Little in Austral Downs Runs  in 1883 · and bought out Dunlop’s country. He left Melbourne  then for Normanton and the station. He again left Normanton  for Melbourne Dec. 31st 1884, staying in Brisbane and Sydney. 

On 9th July 1885 saw Richardson (Tot), and after a  lot of time and trouble he bought father out of Austral Downsand Mentance runs for the sum of £3000 – father having put in  £1850. He left later on to go to Beechworth and Melbourne April 15th,1885. Father left Melbourne for Brisbane to settle  with the Government about the rents of Dunlop’s country, which  had to be forfeited on 1st June 1885. He settled with the  Queensland Government about rents and left for Melbourne on  23rd October, 1885. 

At this time my father stayed in Melbourne for some  little while as his Mother was very ill, and he did not like  to go away far. He stayed with the Andersons of Cape Schanck  and also went up the  Black Spur with Uncle Monty and Jack  Cunningham. 

My grandmother, my father’s mother, was Margaret,  nee Vaughan. She died at Alma House, Chapel St. St. Kilda  on 11th April, 1886, aged 55 years. She is buried in the  family grave in the St. Kilda Cemetery. 

Sometime after his mother’s death, my father went up  to stay with his cousin, Jim Cunninghame at Kildary, June 7th,  and returned to Melbourne Aug. 20th, 1886. My father bought  Murrumbogie from C. H. Jeffreys on 9th Dec.,1886 – Price £5250,  with 5250 mixed sheep. Then he selected, on 31st March 1887   some more country just across the lane from the Murrumbogie house  His sisters, Constance and Mabel, came up to stay with him in April 1887, and his father came up on 1st May,1887. My father ·  bought Bogabigal station, near Forbes, from John Crann, in July  1889, and took delivery of it with Mr. J. de Vere Allen on  Aug. 1889. Price of Bogabigal was £2/2/- an acre for freehold   and C.P. Land. 

My grandfather, Edward Micklethwaite Curr, died at  Alma House, Chapel St., St. Kilda, on 3rd Aug.1889 – my father  was there. 

Aunt Mabel Curr left for a trip to England with Mr.& Mrs. Callon in the “Salazie” on 28th Feb.1890. 

My father, Edward M. V. Curr, married my mother, Mary Cunningham Macleod at Albury, N.S.W. on 16th April 1890. They  were married at the Priest’s house next to the Church. Grannie  Macleod (Mrs. Donald Macleod) and Aunt Constance Curr were  present. · 

They were married in N.S.W. as the Melbourne Archbishop  Carr would not grant them a dispensation. It was thanks to  Dean Phelan of Forbes, and the Bishop of Bathurst that the  dispensation was obtained – why it was refused in Victoria no  one seemed to know.

My father and mother went to Beechworth  and Bright for their honeymoon. 

My father sold Murrumbogie to J.J.H. McColl on 9th Aug.,  1890, with 2800 sheep for £16500 and he still kept the two  selections. 

Aunt Mabel Curr returned from Europe with Nellie Lane  on 6th March 1891 in the S.S. “Ballarat”.

I, Lillias Mary Margaret Curr, was born at Alma House,  Chapel St. Kilda, on 29th June, 1891.

Edward Alexander Curr was born at Murrumbogie on Sept.  10th, 1892. Father Barry christened Edward Alexander Curr 20th September 1892. 

Mr. J. J. McColl was not able to complete his agreement  on the sale of Murrumbogie, so it remained in my father’s hands. 

Mr. J. de Vere Allen left Bogabigal, Forbes, on 24th  Aug.1892, and Mr. F. Clayton took on the management on 24th  Aug.1892.

My father was elected Chairman of the Forbes Meat Works  and Export Co. 19th April, 1893. In this Company my father  lost quite a lot of money. 

My mother and children left Murrumbogie for Melbourne  4th Jan.1893, and returned on 1st April,1894, bringing with them  Aunt Francie Macleod, who afterwards became Mrs. Robert Officer.  We were ell very fond of her, she was bright and jolly, and was  very good to us children.

In September and October 1894 there was the big shearing  strike in N.S.W. My father worked very hard during this strike,  and would not be intimidated. There was a big strikers’ camp  near Trundle Waterhole, and the men boasted the shed would not  begin shearing on the days arranged. Many of the shearers and  shed hands did not want to be in the strike, but were afraid to  go against the mob rule. My father took a big drag and a  driver and went into the camp. He got out and stood on a log  with his revolver. He spoke to the strikers and said: “If any  man wants to come out of this camp now to shear at our shed, let  him get his swag and come now. I will shoot any man who tries  to atop him.” The men came, and shearing started. No man  attempted to touch father, but it was a risky thing to do. When I was a child I loved to hear this story.

(See further on about loss of the leases on account of  gold being found.) See Page 16. (page 13 in this Word document). 

Kate Marie Curr born at Murrumbogie on 20th June,1895. 

The Australian M. & A. Co. gave my father permission  to buy Aitkin’s property, 10,000 acres, and he closed for it at  8/- per acre. He took delivery of it 11th July, 1895. This  was part of what was afterwards Ringwood Station. 

My mother and the three children went away again from  the heat on Jan.6th. A very old friend of the Currs, Tessie  Lane, had been staying with mother, and returned to town with  her. 

My father bought M. Morgan’s selection on 5th April,1897.  It also became part of Ringwood Station. 

Mr. S. Taylor, who was manager of Bogabigal, left on  1st March, and Percy Cunningham took his place for a month, but

left for a better billet in April 1897. Then Mr. J. McColl  (son of J.J. McColl) took over the management April,1897.  There was a terrible drought at Murrumbogie and Bogabigal in  1897, and they lost all their lambs and 19,000 sheep. Rain  came at the end of May. 

John Vaughan Curr was born et Dr. J. Tuthill’s house,  Euroa, Victoria, on 28th January 1898. He was christened  15th May, 1898 by Father Campion of Parkes. Aunt Gussie Gurner was Godmother and Uncle Hubert Curr Godfather. 

Aunt Francie Macleod married Robert Officer, 13th April  1898 at Bernera, Wattle Tree Road, Malvern, Victoria. 

Francis Elaine Curr born at Murrumbogie, 4th Aug.1900,  christened by Father Campion of Parkes.

Uncle Hubert Curr  left for South Africa with the troops in March,1900. 

Fred Curr, my father’s first cousin and the father of  Joe Curr (husband of my niece Betty) stayed at Murrumbogie in  July 1901. He lived at Abingdon Downs, Queensland. 

Uncle Hubert Curr left again for South Africa in 1902  a very fine looking man, and looked very fit in his uniform. 

Fairlie Mary Cunningham Curr was born at Nurse Corney’s  home in Wattle-tree Road, Malvern, Victoria, 17th Dec.,1903. 

My father then took a well-earned holiday trip of three  weeks in Jan.1904. My brother, Edward Alexander, whom we call  Ted, and I went to school in Melbourne in Feb.1904. Ted went  to Xavier College, Kew, and I went to the Sacré Coeur Convent,  East Malvern. Kitty, our sister, also went to school at the  Convent Feb.1907. 

My great Uncle Richard Curr died in Richmond, 1907. 

Hubert Curr was married in South Africa to Eily Carrol,  and returned to Australia on May 22nd 1908. 

I, Margery Curr, left my Convent school in Midwinter, 1908, and went home to live at Murrumbogie. My brother Ted  left Xavier College, Kew, in December 1909. He went into the  New Zealand Loan office for some months later on, April 9th 1911. 

Mr. J. H. Davie, Manager of the Australian M. & A. Co.,  my father’s great friend, died 1908. 

1909 was a very bad year again and father had all but  3000 sheep away at Coolabah, and all the cattle and horses at  Coonamble. 

On April 1, 1910 Father and Uncle Ernest J. Curr bought Murrumbogie and Ringwood out of the hands of the A.M.& A. Co. for  £30,000, and they paid in £5000. On Aug. 1st,1910, they sold  Ringwood to A. Rickards 17,120 acres at £2/7/6d. per acre,  delivered same on that date – one-third cash and balance in  twelve months. 

On Dec.22nd 1910 Father and the family went to Melbourne  for a three months holiday. We took a house at Brighton.

On January 30th,1912, Ernest Joseph Curr left for a  trip to Europe on the “Mantus”  Father, mother and family went  to Metung in December 1912 for three months. We rented the  house “Korak”, which father bought a couple of years later. He  gave it to mother, and she left it to us four girls. Some of  us have been down there every summer since then, and I am  writing this in 1954. We have had many happy holidays down  there, and father and mother loved it. Uncle Ernest Curr lived  there for many years and died there. Father had a room built  for him in the garden, which he used when our house was full.  He called it “The Better ‘Ole”! 

On May 1st, 1913 Father bought Uncle Ernest Curr out  of Murrumbogie for £12,000 all told, or £8000 as it stood. 

Fairlie Mary Cunninghame Curr went to the Sacre Coeur  Convent, Burke Road, East Malvern, in April 1913. She became  head of the school and a 2nd Medallion. 

Kitty Curr left school in December 1912.  We all went to Metung again in December,1913, and came  home in April 1914.  Aunt Marie Curr, wife of Uncle Richard Curr, died at  Wellington Parade, 8th August, 1914.  We went to Metung again in Dec.1914, and came home on  25th March to a bad drought.  Jack Curr left school in December 1914. My brother  Edward Alexander (Ted) joined the Artillery in Jan. 1916, to go  on active service. He returned May 31s t 1919. He fought in  France and Belgium. He was wounded in the shoulder and gassed.  He met many of Mother’s Cunninghame relations while he was on  sick leave in England and they were very good to him.  In the second World War, my brother again enlisted, but  was not sent overseas. He was a recruiting sergeant, and worked  hard, speaking all over N.S.W. and part of Queensland. 

We all went to Metung again in Dec.1915, returning  home 20th March,1916.

On 20th March 1916 Father sold Mrs. King’s paddock at  Metung back to her for £500, and bought “Korak ” , Metung, from her for May (my Mother) for £525 furnished.

We went again to  Metung Dec.1916, and returned March, 1917; again in 1917, 1918,  1919, 1920, 1921 and so on. 

Elaine Curr left school at the end of 1919 – a very bad  season then.

Mother and Father left for Melbourne and Metung  29th Nov.1920 – bad season. 

My grand-mother (Mrs. Donald Macleod) died at “Bernera”  Wattle tree Road, Malvern, Victoria, 14th Feb.1920. She was  buried at Brighton Cemetery. I helped to look after her in her  last illness with Mother and Aunt Mina Macleod. She was a very  fine old lady, and a very handsome woman. We all loved her  dearly and she was very good indeed to all us children. She  loved to come up to stay with us at Murrumbogie. She was very  fond of my Father,

Fairlie C. Curr left the Convent school Dec.1921. 

Kitty Curr went to St. Vincent’s Hospital to train as a  nurse about 1st April, 1921. 

We all went to Metung again in December 1921 and  returned 11th April,1922 – it was very dry again. 

Ted Curr became engaged to Eunice Benbow Palmer Feb. 1922. They were married at  Winward Square, Sydney, on 24th Aug. 1922 in St. Patrick’s Church. Mother, Margery and Elaine  were present. 

My dear Father, Edward M. V. Curr, died at “Bernera”,  Wattle-tree Road, Malvern, Victoria., 25th November 1922 – May he  rest in peace. My Father was buried in the family grave at the St. Kilda Cemetery – a better man and father never lived. 

We had terrible fires at Murrumbogie the following  year – 1925. Kitty Curr finished her training at St. Vincent’s  Hospital, December 1925. 

Fairlie Curr passed her exams as a Teacher Dec.1924,  and went on teaching at St. Catherine’s, Toorak.  

After Father died, Mother went to Metung, and after the  summer returned to Murrumbogie, bringing Aunt Anna Tuthill, her sister, with her. 

My brother, Edward Alexander Curr, went to live at the  farm when he was married. It was part of Murrumbogie about a  mile from the house.  My brother Edward  A. Curr’s  family:

Jane Mary Betty Curr, born Ararat 26th June,1923
Edward Macleod Curr, born Trundle 30th July,1924
 Margaret Eunice Curr, born Ararat 20th Dec. 1925 
Ian George Curr, both 9th March, 1930 
Justin Curr, born in Parkes 25 April 1932 died 31 May 1932. 

We continued living about two years  at Murrumbogie   Then the farm part was sold to the Anders family from Victoria.  They were very bad specs for us, and neglected the place shockingly,  and did not pay up well – and then moved out. We lost  on this transaction mostly because the Trustees & Executors,  Melbourne, were so slow and dilatory. 

  1. Then my brothers Ted and Jack managed to finance  buying the whole place in 1924 – £1000 deposit – and dissolved  partnership in 1934. The season was very hot and dry. 

We had a big clearing sale down at the farm, as we did  not want any sale up at the house.

My Mother had not been at all well and had gone to  Melbourne some time before. Kit was nursing and Fairlie was  teaching. My Mother stayed at Bernera with the Macleod Aunts.  She then bought a very nice home for us in Toorak Road, at the  corner of Mayfield Avenue. My sister Elaine and I came down  to Melbourne soon after the Murrumbogie sale, having moved Ted  and his family from the farm into the old home. 

After a few weeks of buying :furniture, we moved into  the Toorak Road house in 1926, ·which we called “Murrumbogie”.  It had a nice big garden and plenty of ground at the back, with  fruit trees and a fowl run. 

My sister Fairlie and I went for a lovely trip to  England in 1929. I was presented at Court. We went to  Scotland .and stayed with my Mother’s first cousin, Alison  Cunninghame of Craigends, near Glasgow. Alison was the  daughter of Mrs. A. Pearson, and she married her cousin Charlie  Cunninghame. We also visited France, Belgium, Switzerland and  Italy and had an audience with the Pope Pius X. 

Uncle Justin Curr died while we were away. Aunt  Constance Curr died while she and Aunt Mabel were living in  Nelson St., Caulfield, and both she and Uncle Justin were buried  in the family grave in St. Kilda Cemetery. 

Aunt Mabel Curr then came to live in a house that  Uncle Ernest J. Curr (Bub) had bought – 52 Stanhope Street,  Malvern.

Uncle Ernest Curr lived tor a time at the George  Hotel, St. Kilda, after he had retired from Edward Trenchard & Co. but later spent most of his time in our house at Metung,  Gippsland Lakes. He was a very good auctioneer and a great favourite with all his men friends. 

My brother, John V. Curr, was married from our house  in Toorak Road on 25th July,1932, to a Welsh nurse, Anne Preece,  a widow of a soldier, C.H. Preece, of the First World War. They went to live at the farm on Murrumbogie. My brothers Ted and Jack were partners in the station, but soon after this they  dissolved the partnership and Jack took the farm as his share.

My Mother, May C. Curr, died at· our Toorak Road home, 13th March,1933. A better Mother never lived – God rest her  soul. 

My sister, Kitty, went for a trip to England in  December, 1933.

Aunt Mabel Curr died in 1934. 

We sold the home in Toorak Road in 1935 and stored our  furniture. Some of the family went to Metung, and I stayed with  Uncle Ernest Curr in his house in Stanhope Street, as he was a  very sick man. We bought a home in Huntingtower Road, Malvern,  early in 1936, and after having it done up, moved in. 

In September 1936, My sisters Kitty and Fairlie bought  a Buick car and trailer with the help of Joy Downer and Eileen  Malynn, then all set off for a trip to Queensland by way of  Gippsland and round the coast to Sydney and Brisbane. They  went up as far as Rockhampton. They left the car in Gladstone  and went out to Heron Island. They returned to Melbourne by  way of Central N.S.W. visiting our old home at Trundle on the  way. In all they motored 6000 miles. 

The War came in 1939, and my sister Elaine F. Curr,  enlisted in the first school for the Women’s Army. She was a  sergeant and served in Melbourne from the beginning, 17/1/42,  all through the War to 9/11/45. 

My sister Kate Marie Curr, did her share of war work,  first organising the Women of Malvern’s A.R.P. and later in the  Censor’s office. She worked very hard. Since the war, Kit  has been working in the reconstruction branch of the Army, and  later in Housing Government .

My sister, Fairlie Curr, was a teacher at St. Catherine’s  School for girls in Toorak, and during the War she and all the  school were evacuated to Warburton. My sister Fairlie left  St. Catherine’s after 25 years, and then she and her great friend,  Sophie Borland, went to England for a year. On her return  she first taught at Fintona School and then at Laurieton, where  she is running their Visual Aid Department.

During the war, the Old Girls’ Association o:f Sacre  Coeur, Burke Road, East Malvern, paid for and staffed their  day at the Soldiers’ Hut at St. Francis Church in Elizabeth  Street. We all worked very hard from 9 a.m. to 10.30 p.m.,  served many hundreds of meals. I was in charge of our Day,  and did all the buying. 

My brother, John V. Curr did not have any children  they adopted a niece of his  wife, Mai Thomas, and called her  Curr. She was educated at PLC in Orange N.S.W. and in March,1955, she was married  to an English Navy man here on loan,  Robert Dickie is his name. Mai is a very nice girl and we  are all fond of her.

My eldest brother, Edward Alexander, is always called  Ted. He is a very big man of 6′ tall, and in later life got  very stout, but very good looking. Ted went to school at Xavier  College, Kew, in 1903, and left in 1909. then went to Bradshaw’s College for six months, and then home for six months.  In 1910 he first went into Permewan Wright Ltd., and the New  Zealand Loan for a year, came home about April,1912. Then the  War was on and he enlisted in Melbourne in Dec.1915, and left :for  Europe in 1916. He came home in 1919. He was wounded at  Joncourt in 1918. The English relations of my Mother were  very nice to him while he was convalescing. He saw service  in France, and Belgium, Mennin Gate, Albert and Arras.

In the Second World War Ted enlisted August,1940, and  was demobbed 1st Aug.1944. He was in the Artillery in the  First War and also for a time in the Second, but was never sent  overseas again. He was a Recruiting Sergeant for a good part  of his time and travelled all over the country. 

My brother Ted’s eldest son, Edward Macleod Curr, known  as Mac, enlisted in the Second World War as soon as he was old  enough and saw service towards the end. He went to the War  26th Feb.1943, and was demobbed 26th Feb.1946. He saw service  in Borneo, Labuan, Brunei Bay, Sarawak, with the Occupation  troops. 

Edward Macleod Curr married Margaret Palmer (Lillian)  at Ganmain on 4th Sept.1948. He drew a soldier’s block and is  now living there. He calls his place Berangee. It is on the  Tarcutta Road, Tarcutta, N.S.W. 

His family is:
Penelope Therese, born Wagga March 19, 1950 
Edward Palmer, born Wagga July, 1951 

Robin, born Wagga Dec 30 , 1952

Judith Mary ., born Wagga June, 1955

Stephen Francis Born Wagga 14 October 1956

Barbara Jane  Born Wagga 14 October 1956

Catherine Anne Born Wagga December 13 , 1957


My father had about 40,000 acres of Lease land where  Platina and Fifield now are. On this land he ran cattle and  sheep until Gold and Platinum were found and the Government  then resumed them. 

This field was for quite a time the richest Platinum  field in the World. At one time there were 2000 people  working on it and living in a very primitive way. Water was  always a great drawback, as there were only dams few and far  between. I remember a very bad drought and the miners coming  and asking my father to allow them to cart water from our home  dam. This he let them do, and they came with tanks on drays  and all sorts of queer vehicles, and the women even came with  buckets and bottles.  After the rains came, a deputation of miners waited on  Father and Mother and asked them to accept a tie pin and a  brooch with a small nugget on each, found on the field, in  token of their gratitude. 

These mines have petered out and there are no people  working there how. Most of this land has been taken up for  small farms.  My father still had another lease of 16,000 acres,  just outside the Murrumbogie boundary to the West and this  was resumed by the Government before the stated time was up.  The Government cut it .up for settlement just after World War I won a block in the ballot and, after we had improved it,  I sold it. On the proceeds I later on took a trip to England. 



CURR AND CURRE (Clemenstone and Itton Court)  Co. Glamorgan, descended from  JOHN CURR ESQ. and MARY his wife,  .  eldest daughter and co-heir to HUMPHREY TURBERVILLE, ESQ of Clemenstone –

Ar. across engraved gn in the first and  fourth quarters,

a heart in the second  and third, a rose of the second

Please comment down below