NATIONAL WEEKEND OF ACTION: STOP BLACK DEATHS IN CUSTODY
4-5 July 2020
Today kicks-off a weekend of protests around the country to Stop Black Deaths in Custody. The first National Weekend of Action Protest will kick off in Kempsey on today, followed by Brisbane, Darwin, Adelaide and Perth on tomorrow finishing up on Sunday with protests in Newcastle and Sydney. Warriors of the Aboriginal Resistance (WAR) are organising the Meanjin (Brisbane) protest and demand:
1. The DISMANTLING AND ABOLITION of all policing, prisons, and court systems;
2. COMPLETE SYSTEMIC CHANGE by way of investments in culturally appropriate supports for individuals, their family members and community by way of rehabilitation, medicinal and pharmaceutical therapy, mental health, housing, community transition and employment placements;
3.The IMBEDDING OF ANTI-RACISM TRAINING in all schools across the
country and requiring it to be a compulsory subject for all first year university students;
4. The REOPENING OF THE INQUESTS AND CASES of all Aboriginal deaths in custody, overseen by an independent body, including community Elders to see justice for the families;
5. The CHARGING, CONVICTION AND SENTENCING OF POLICE OFFICERS AND CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS responsible for the murders of Aboriginal people; and
6. NO MORE POLICE INVESTIGATING POLICE for any complaint of misconduct made against them and all future investigations be
held by an independent non-government body with equal Aboriginal representation.
On June 6, we protested in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and George Floyd whilst bringing attention to the 432 Aboriginal deaths and murders in custody here on our own soil. Racial profiling and racist police practices have resulted in another five Aboriginal deaths in custody increasing the total to 437.
We have had enough. We will not stop protesting. Our demands wi11 keep coming. We will never sit back in the face of racism and injustice. The Australian policing and incarceration systems do not work. They need to be abolished.
Media Contact: Bogaine Spearim 0415 649 401.
See the WAR facebook page for further event in formation .
# BlakLivesMatter #StopAboriginaIDeathsInCustody #AboIishAustraIia